Current Trends in Networking
Report on Current Trends in Networking
Networking is the practice of transferring or transporting data between nodes over a shared medium in an information system. In other words, it can be defined as the process in which computer networks are created or used with respect to protocols, software and hardware. It includes wireless and wired technologies that are used by different business entities (Barton, Soshnev and Geyer, 2015). Now a days new trends in networking are taking places frequently in order to reduce workload of individuals. Main examples of future trends are software defined networking, 5G, 802.11ac etc. All of them are designed to increase speed, provide software to detect and monitor issues. BT Group is a leading internet service provider in UK. Its headquarter is in London and currently it is operating its business in around 180 countries. The organisation was founded in year 1969 and its chairman is Jan Du Plessis. In this report a technical consultant of BT Group have been asked to provide best advice to make investment as they are willing to upgrade their infrastructure and diversify the services. Various aspects are analysed by the technical consultant including comparison of wired and wireless broadband technology, cognitive radio, unlicensed mobile access, role of cryptography and net generation network.
Wired broadband is a physical connection to a particular location which is connected through a cable. It is a secured and safe medium of using internet as compare to wireless broadband because no one else can use the internet. The reliability level in such type of connectivity is very high. For example, if huge number of individuals are using wireless system at one time then it will reduce the speed but in wired connection the speed of internet will net get interrupted due to number of users (Comparison of Wired and Wireless Broadband,2012). A detailed comparison of both the technologies are as follows:
Wired broadband performs better as compare to wireless networks because there is no data limit and barriers for the speed. As all the systems are connected with the cables hence they are more safe and it is not possible for others to use such networks illegally.
It also performs good but as its speed gets interrupted due to number of users that affects the overall performance. Most of the people can use the network of a business entity if they are having the password to access.
Speed of wired network is very high as compare to wireless network because the service provider promise to provide a specific speed which is not going to be affected due to the number of users. For example, DSL is a wired broadband system which can be installed in homes or at businesses. Its speed always remains constant and will never decrease with the fluctuation in the number of users (DSL.2018).
Speed of such type of broadband does not provide higher speed and it also get reduced when the number of network users get increased. For example, WAN is wireless broadband in which speed of internet get decreased if the users get increased.
Advancement in Fiber network and cables are the major deployment issues for the wired broadband because innovations in the cable material is continuously increasing and it is not possible for the business entities to change the overall setup as it requires a higher amount. If a company choose to install the advance technology at workplace then it requires higher investments and for all the enterprises it is not possible to change the cables because of insufficient funds (Deployment challenge for wired broadband.2019).
Reduction in the downloading and uploading speed in the major challenge for wireless broadband as it is reducing its popularity in the market (Datta, Da Costa and Bonnet, 2015).
Performance metrics of Wireless broadband: There are various performance metrics of wireless network (Wireless broad band’s performance metrics, 2019). All of them with their benefits are described below:
- Coverage: Wireless networks have low coverage areas but the area which is covered by the system have good speed of internet. Only such users are allowed to use the network who have the password to access.
- Capacity: Data limit in most of the Wireless networks is set previously and users are not allowed to exceed that particular extent. It helps the organisations to reduce the misuse of data by the employees (Dawson and et.al., 2014).
- Coexistence: Wireless broadband have a feature of coexistence in which it can be coexisted with other devices that can cause significant and dynamic interference. It is very beneficial for the organisation as it can be used with wired broadband.
- Power consumption: In Wireless networks the main requirement is long battery life which is possible if the organisation is using such system which is having higher mah power. It is beneficial for the business entities only if the power consumption have long battery life.
- Security: In wireless broadband only those users have the access to the network who have the password. This is advantageous for the business entities as the security key can be provided to such employees who requires it.
Performance metrics of Wired broadband:
- Highly secured: Wired broadband is highly secured because it is connected with through wires. It is not possible for the external user to access the internal network of a company.
- Reliability: Wired broad bands are more reliable as compare to wireless networks because the service provide assure to render a particular speed of data. It helps business entities to complete their work without any interruption.
- Uninterrupted speed: Speed in wired technology remain constant and fluctuation in the number of user does not affect it. For all the business entities it is very beneficial as it will not harm their work by decreasing the speed (Ganchev, Curado and Kassler, 2014).
There are various types of deployment hurdles for wired and wireless broadband that creates problem for the organizations which are using these systems. All of them are as follows:
End user quality of experience: It is very important for all the service providers such as BD group to focus on providing good experiences to the customers whether they are using a wired or wireless network. It will help to capture large market share and also result in increased number of customers. If the users are not satisfied with the services then they may switch to other service providers.
Funding: It is very important for the internet providers to arrange sufficient funds that can be used in the up gradation of the services so that all the aspirations of users can be fulfilled. Wired and Wireless both the broad bands require higher investment and it is very important to deal with this hurdle appropriately (Hansen and et.al., 2015).
Latest innovations in the market: Now a days various innovations are taking place in the market of technology and it is not possible to change the system frequently. For example, new and innovative cables are being introduced by the manufacturers that are used in wired networks and it is impossible to change the whole wiring as it costs high. In wireless broadband market new technologies are also taking place such as 3G, 4G and 5G. As it changes with time and increase the expectations of customers hence for organisations it is very important to provide services according to their requirements. It will help to be stable in the market (Jiang, Cui and Faloutsos, 2016).